Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Today's Event: The Blegny Mine







Today, school was over at noon. :D Yah, enough said.

Actually not really. It was a good day at school. I didn't talk to a whole of people because I didn't really have the chance, having the first hour with Père Boly and the second being a study hall. So I only had two classes today: Math and Geography. Math continues to be a good class for me, which is completely abnormal for me.

After school let out, I met up with Talia and the other American girl, Mikayla, and we walked down the road like usual to the Grand Place where we met another exchange student that goes to a different school from us. Her name is Gaby and she is from Mexico. She is really really sweet and I was so happy to meet her! Mikayla bought some true Belgian fries that we all shared and Talia and I ate the sandwiches we brought as we waited for Gaby's host dad to pick us up and take us to Liège to meet the rest of the Rotary exchange students. We were dropped off at the train station about an hour early, so we spent that hour getting a sandwich for Gaby, and a croissant and bottled water for me.

I don't what it is, but lately I am just hungry all the time. And I feel like I always need to be eating. And it's not a depression eating, because I truly am hungry. But if I keep it up at this rate, I will gain those 22 pounds in no time. So I have to watch myself, but it's tough when you're that hungry all the time...

Anyways, once all the exchange students were assembled at the station, and we all said our hellos and gave much needed hugs, we all piled on a bus and travelled about a half hour to the Blegny Mine, where we watched an informational video (sorta watched, mostly talked through ;)). We were then split up into groups of about 20. We were led into a room where we donned our mine attire, which consisted of a very stylish army-green jacket and fashionable yellow helmet. After catching ourselves up on the local mine-wear and getting some general information from our guide, we descended into the mine. Which meant cramming about twelve people at a time into this tiny little cage which was precariously hung by a rope and lowered into the mine. It was an adventure, for sure, and consistently compared to The Tower of Terror at Disney World, even though it wasn't really fast or scary... Just dark and a bit nerve wracking to begin with.

Once we all got in the mine, we followed our guide through, stopping every couple minutes for him to give us some information about what it was like to work in the mine. And let me tell you, I couldn't think of a single benefit. These workers ended up deaf, with lung cancer and bad eyesight, with the risk of exploding or being trapped every single day. What a life... At some point we were led down a ridiculously long flight of stairs that was probably scarier than the little cage... They were steep and slippery and tilted downwards, with nothing but an endless abyss of more stairs in front of you for when you fall... But thankfully nobody had to deal with that fate and we all made it through the tour without being harmed. We finished up, and, much to our dismay, had to return our fashion-forward mine clothes. Then we waited for the rest of the students in the cafeteria, entertaining ourselves by eating waffles and stacking empty juice cartons.

By 5:45 we were back on the bus, headed home. My host mom picked up Talia and Gaby and Mikayla and I to take us back towards Hannut and meet the other host parents. On the way home, we talked about our blogs and I guess the idea got to Talia and she decided to start her own blog! I went home with my host mom, ate dinner, did some stretching in preparation for dance tomorrow, and now I am ready to crash. Tomorrow should be pretty uneventful. But we'll see. I always find something to post about ;)

Bonne nuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment