Thursday, September 23, 2010

Flowers For My Loved Ones

I wanted to go out and find you a daisy.

Because daisies are innocent, like you.

But I could not find a daisy for you.

So I tried to find a rose.

Because roses are beautiful, like you.

But I could not find a rose.

So I tried to find a lily for you.

Because lilies are colorful, like you.

But I could not find a lily.

So I tried to find lavender for you.

Because lavender is sweet, like you.

But I could not find any lavender.

So I gave up and dropped down in the grass and buried my head in my hands.

Because all these things in the world were true, but none seemed to be just right for you.

And I looked up and looked around and all of the sudden I found that I'd been sitting in a field of clover all along.

And when I looked closer, to my surprise I found, that every single one had four leaves, and my heart was filled with joy.

Because clover is innocent, like you.

And clover is beautiful, like you.

And clover is colorful, like you.

And clover is sweet, like you.

And all this time I had been too distracted to see what was right in front of my eyes. That more than anything, I am lucky to have you in my life.

So I picked some clover and brought it to you, and told you this story. And you laughed and your eyes were happy and bright as you told me that you are lucky too. And you put that clover in a cup of water and sat it down in the kitchen window. And even after it wilted, we know that it lives forever.

Because we are lucky to have each other.

1 comment: