Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Bike Ride Through Belgium

Today, since I was feeling a little nostalgic about home, I decided that it would be a good idea to just get away from everyone for a while. So I took the opportunity to bike the 14 kilometers Hannut, and take pictures along the way for all of you out there to enjoy.
I see this shack all the time because it is at the end of my run. I think it is interesting because I have no idea who it belongs to. It is not in a yard. It is just in the middle of the grass, with broken windows and no door.
I don't really know what it is about it... I liked this view.
Is this creepy? I don't really care. I think it's really sweet that everyone hangs their clothes out to dry :)
Cows. Everywhere. That's not an exaggeration.
This was the first thing that I came across that I thought was really picturesque. And there are nice bridges like this all over. And I had only been riding for about 10 minutes! There is a path that extends all over the place, sort of like the Metroparks Parkway at home.
Belgian graffiti. I just thought it was interesting.
My bike. Obviously. That little rack on the back is probably one of the most convenient things ever.
The interesting thing about Belgium: I'll be riding through forest that is so thick you cannot see past the first layer of foliage, and then out of nowhere comes a wide open field like this one. They are pretty in an organic, country-side sort of way.
The other interesting thing... One side can be like that, but then other can be the greenest grass you have ever seen... With the occasional animal taking an evening snack.
The sunset was gorgeous tonight. The sky was blue and the sun was shining so brightly, filling the air with warm light. But the few clouds that powdered the sky just made it perfect.
I don't know why, but it's just so calming. Granted, living in a little tiny town is difficult, and I prefer the big city, but riding through this today was exactly what I needed.
After a few more kilometers of trees and pretty green, there was more field. But this one was even more open, and something about those colors was just incredible... Almost surreal. It was like being in one of those movies where crop circles happen and aliens invade the small, unsuspecting town... For some reason that image intrigued me.
The colors... Oh my gosh incredible.
That sky with the dark clouds and the yellow field... It was the weirdest, coolest color combination...
That's me.
The sun continues to set...
Another cool thing: yes there is field and grass, but if you look just beyond what your eyes can easily see, you notice something else. More of a sign of life... A village. With a church and houses and buildings. And you know that there are people there and you are not alone in the big, vacant, open fields.
Hannut. I made it. 14 kilometers! Which is really nothing... In the States, I went 25 or 30 miles with my buddies. Again, just look at those colors...
I love how people just randomly have horses and cows and other animals in their yards...
The path extends forever. But this is where I stopped to turn around, deciding that it was time to head home, as it was about to become nightfall.
After looking at the quaint houses, I decided that it was time to go back. Next time, I will venture further into the city. The ride back was nice because it just got a little bit darker every couple minutes and I just enjoyed the wind in my face and the beautiful weather. It was warm, but not too hot and the sun was keeping everything just right.

What really made the ride special, though, was my music. I had my iPod going and you know how people always say that life would better with a soundtrack? It's so true. I decided to listen to all of the new music that I have added since I have gotten here. Which wasn't much and the majority of it is in English. But the mix was great because some songs were nice and slow and contemplative, letting me really soak in what was around me, while others were upbeat and gave me a burst of freedom and energy. Here is my playlist:

1. We No Speak Americano - Yolanda Be Cool
2. Here It Goes Again - Ok Go
3. Stop For A Minute - Keane
4. Mad World - Gary Jules
5. Alors On Danse - Stromae
6. The Day I Died - Just Jack
7. Me & My Guitar - Tom Dice
8. Allez! Ola! Olé! - Jesse Matador
9. Sky And Sand - Paul Kalkbrenner
10. Human - The Killers
11. Waka Waka - Shakira

I have to say, this ride was so freeing. To be able to just go and go and not worry about anything... Just the path ahead. I felt so alive today. That may sound corny, and weird. I mean, it's just a bike ride, right? But it was exactly what I needed. I let go of all inhibitions. At one point (and this is kind of embarrassing now that I think about it...) "Waka Waka" came on, and I don't know what it was... Maybe the combination of the sun and the empty field around me and those colors all just flooding my brain... But when that song came on, I listened to the lyrics and I was just so empowered by it for some reason, I just let loose. I pedaled as fast as I could and threw my head back, singing and dancing on my bicycle as I sped through the deserted landscape. I felt, like I said, so free.

How lame does that sound? But it was great. Today seems to be all about freedom...

(P.S. That feeling kind of died when I wiped out about 30 seconds from my house... I skinned up my knee pretty bad. Whoops!)



No comments:

Post a Comment