Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Quick Post


Seriously, every day things get better! My emotions are starting to level out, I'm making friends, hanging out with people, improving French, taking dance classes, and today I FINALLY bought a straightener! Talia and I hung out in Hannut after our classes until we had dance (jazz) and walked around and did a little tiny bit of shopping. We found a store that had all kinds of beauty supplies and I bought some makeup remover, hair shine spray, combs, etc, and my straightener!! Yay! The bad part: I had to shell out 60 euros for it... But I decided it was worth it. Until my debit card didn't work.... The way the machines here work is that you have to put your card in this slot that is on the top of the machine. And it continually rejected my card. But then Talia, being the smart girl that she is, told the cashier that you need to actually swipe the card instead of just inserting it because American cards have magnetic strips, not chips. Huh. Who woulda thunk it?

I also had my very first "croque madame" today. It's a delicious grilled cheese sandwich, topped with an egg! Totally wonderful French classic. I thoroughly enjoyed it :) Eating was a great part of my afternoon because, as Talia and I realized, the majority of shops are closed on Tuesdays here. So there wasn't that much for us to do and we ended up sitting around and talking for a big portion of the time between school and dance. Which ended up being quite entertaining and we shared the deep stories of our lives... Not really it was mostly just girl talk.

School is going better every day. I understand nothing in my classes, and I'm always really confused, but the more people I meet the easier my days get and the more comfortable I am. I'm still not super talkative or anything, but I'm having a good time :) Except in my English class. You would think that would be the easiest class right? No. It's so difficult because I know the words in English, obviously, but I don't know the French translations. So we had a test today and I had such a hard with it. But it's ok. We have all the papers now to study from so that should get easier too. With time. Like everything else.

Dance today was excellent. The teacher was very happy with me and my dancing and even asked if I would be interested in learning a dance to do an extra performance with them in November!! I'm so excited about it! I have a lot of work to do to get ready for my college auditions, but dancing is so important to me and I enjoy it so much.

It was a long day and I am exhausted! Bed time for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment