Sunday, September 26, 2010

New Grandparents And Old Memories

Today, I was woken up around 8 30am by my dreams, and was pretty upset that I wasn't able to sleep more. But I got up anyways, watched a couple episodes of Frasier, and packed my bags to stay at my 3rd host family's house for the next few nights, since my host parents are out of town. However, before I headed over there, I had another adventure waiting for me.

Around 10 45, Benoit and I took off from the house, went to Damien's university to pick him up, and then headed to Waterloo to visit the parents of my host mom. Of course, this whole time, I'm under the impression that we were meeting my host parents there and we would all be together. But that was not the case. We got there and I met my host grandparents and then I realized that it would just be us five for lunch. Which at first, I was worried it would be awkward. But I soon discovered that they are wonderfully delightful people. They were very nice to me and we talked in French the whole time and had a fantastic meal together.

First, we had homemade tomato soup. Now let me just make it clear that I am incredibly used to Campbell's tomato soup, and didn't realize how much better it is homemade. It was so delicious! That was followed by steaks with garlic butter, potatoes, and green beans in a cream sauce. I don't really care for steak, but it was really very very good. Of course, it was too much food for me and I was completely stuffed before I could even finish it, and I had to leave some food on my plate :/ Which I absolutely hate doing because wasting food, I think, is disgusting. But I couldn't help it. There was no way I could eat another bite. I also had a glass of wine with lunch, which was very strong, and I didn't really like it, but I drank it anyway to be polite. Dessert was chocolate mousse, which was heavenly.

The whole time, I was constantly reminded of my own grandparents back home. Their mannerisms, the food, the house, the way they treated their grandchildren... I really missed my grandparents back home. All grandparents' houses are similar in that way. They are full of warmth and comfort and love. And good food. Always good food!

After dinner, we watched some TV, looked at some pictures and had some good conversation. It was really great and I had a fantastic time. I hope that I get to see them often!

Around 4, we left to take Damien back to the university, and Benoit and I went home for about an hour before taking me to my 3rd host family's house. I am there now, and let me just say, I can't wait to live here. Don't get me wrong, I love where I am now, but this house is a castle!! My friend, Manon, who will be my host sister, showed me my future bedroom. It is currently under construction, but it is absolutely HUGE and it looks like it will be beautiful! I am so excited to have host sisters too. I ate dinner here, we watched Moulin Rouge and now I am waiting anxiously to Skype with my parents.

Overall, I had a fantastic day, as usual :) Tomorrow, there is no school because of some holiday that I don't understand. But hopefully being in a house where nobody speaks ANY English will help me a lot with my French. We will see! Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment