Friday, September 3, 2010

Take 2

The second day of school was definitely better than the first. Today, I wasn't completely lost, I ate lunch with Belgians, and actually enjoyed one of my classes, although I still had to go see Madame Vanesse (the director) a couple times over the course of the day. We started the day out with our daily French lesson by the sweet old priest. Today was a little difficult to deal with, but the exchange students were treated to a nice breakfast with him and Madame Vanesse. We had croissants with jelly and chocolate. They were probably the best croissants I've ever had. Wonderful :) Then I went to Math. Let me make one thing very clear. I hate math. With a fiery burning passion that is as hot as fourteen suns. But I loved it today! Why, may you ask? Because the wonderful thing about math is that it is the same in French as it is in English. So for once, I understood something!!

Math was then followed by a study hall, but I spent that time in Madame Vanesse's office trying to understand the Belgian school scheduling system, and then went to lunch. Lunch is my favorite part of the day. You do not need to speak French to be able to eat. And I ate with my Belgian friends, Manon and Pauline. After lunch, I had double Social Science, which was death. It took every once of my strength to stay awake during that class, and I eventually turned to letter writing as an alternative to sleeping. It is so difficult to stay awake because I am constantly trying to comprehend something that my brain cannot handle and it eventually just stops functioning. It's like when a computer freezes up because you are trying to do something that it can't do. That's my brain. "Overload". Following that was French. That class will kill me. I have three French novels that are required and then there are two lists from which I have to pick six more books and two films. This will all be due at different dates throughout the year. The first book I must read by the 24th. And then there's the final project. In the States, my most arduous paper that I had to write was about 12 pages long. Here, the projects must be 50-100 pages long. No, I am not kidding. And the prof passed around examples from students past, and they are literally books. I don't mean they are big enough to be books, I mean they are bound, covered books, complete with chapters, footnotes, and tables of contents. Kill me now.

But now I get to relax with Talia as we spend the night eating peanut butter and watching movies :) By the way, my whole host family thinks the peanut butter is weird. Both days, after school, because of the insane amount of stress, I have had to turn to my drug: Peanut Butter. And I have a spoonful. And my host brother looks at me like I'm eating poo. And then tells me I'm going to get fat. But I don't care because I need it and it makes me feel better :)

Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment