Tuesday, September 28, 2010

So Yah, A Horse Stepped On My Foot...

I didn't write yesterday. I apologize. I am not staying at my normal house these few days, because my host parents are out of town, and I am staying with my third host family until Thursday. And for some unknown reason, I cannot get my computer to connect to the WiFi here. It is quite the predicament and I have no answer...

I got here on Sunday evening, after my wonderful dinner with my host grandparents. I settled in, Skyped with my family, and went to bed. The next day was Monday. Yesterday. There was no school! It was some sort of French holiday, but to be completely honest, I couldn't tell you which one it was, because I still don't really understand what's going on around me. I just smile and nod and pretend I have all the knowledge in the world. And so far, it seems to be working pretty well!

On our day off, my future host sister, Manon, and I spent the majority of the day together, doing pretty average, every day things. We got up, got ready, ate breakfast, watched a little tv, did some homework, ate lunch, and then tried to think of something fun to do. What we ended up deciding on was to teach me how to ride a horse. So yesterday, for the first time since about sixth grade, I went horseback riding. I donned the normal spandex pants, special shoes and such, and went with Manon and my younger future host sister, Philippine, to their friend's house to ride. After getting our horse and dealing with it's behavior problems, we finally were able to saddle him up. It took a good 45 minutes to do because we had to do quite a few things to get him to stand still long enough to do anything. We had to push him this way and that, clean up after his business, even take the goat out of it's stall and move it away from the horse since the bleating was scaring him. Finally, we were ready to go. We took the horse down a couple streets to a closed in track where they could teach me the basics. Manon rode first and showed me how to do everything, and then I mounted that horse and had a great time riding for the next half hour. She taught me all kinds of things and said that I learn very fast. And I had a great time! I hope that I get to go horseback riding with her often and learn more because it was a lot of fun :)

Until we had to put the horse back in the field. We took him back to the stables to get the saddle and bridle off, and then, of course, it happened. Right as I was undoing one of the buckles on the saddle, the fat old horse stomped right on my foot. I let out a shriek of pain and backed away immediately to try and feel what had happened. Luckily, no bones were broken and the pain subsided fairly quickly. I was left with nothing but a tiny itty bitty bruise on the corner of my toenail. No harm done! So I guess I forgive the horse...

After our adventure with the horse, we returned back to the house and made a giant stack of crèpes! I'm serious. We probably made over 100 crèpes. The whole family had some and Manon and I spread some wonderful chocolate spread over some, others with sugar, and ate our weight in the lusciousness that is crèpes. Absolutely wonderful. Afterwards I spent some time on the computer and doing some studying and such. We then ate dinner (some beef stroganoff type dish, applesauce and frites) and then Manon and I headed upstairs for the night, going to bed very early around 10.

Today was an average day at school. Nothing really to report. I had my first hour with Père Boly, then Science, 2 hours of gym, Social Sciences, and English. After school, we went to the café as usual, and then Manon and I took the bus home. We watched some TV, (Drake and Josh. Mmm love Drake Bell!!!) did our homework, ate dinner (spaghetti), and then I went to dance. Now I am here, writing this blog and contemplating bed, since I am exhausted, as usual. So that is all for today. Tomorrow, I shall write about my ever-growing frustration with college apps. Bonne nuit!

1 comment:

  1. Te gusta la sopa?

    We hope you are well. It sounds like when you return to your room, it may be too small for your liking.

    The boys say, hi.

    KC & LAURA

    ReplyDelete