Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11 In Belgium


Today, I will post multiple times. Because there are certain issues that I cannot talk about in the same post as others. This is one of those issues.

Nine years ago, the Twin Towers were destroyed. Nine years ago, the country mourned the losses of friends, family members, coworkers, acquaintances, people they didn't even know. Nine years ago, the United States of America put aside their differences, and came together to battle through this tragic, heart-wrenching event. And on every eleventh day, of the ninth month of the year, since 2001, we have stopped to think of every single one of those people, and sit in silence, and remember.

I am in Belgium today. Today, which has become one of the most patriotic days in American history. And being here, being in a place where this day is just September 11th, 2010, with no real significance, has opened my eyes to my true patriotism. Like any American, I have my qualms with the government, I have my opinions. I like to stay out of politics because I hardly every agree with the decisions being made. But regardless of my political standings or my opinions, the fact is that I am an American. And I went through this day just like everyone else. And even though I was only a mere nine years old when those Towers fell, I will never forget the fear and worry and grief that I felt when I finally found out why we weren't allowed outside for recess on that gorgeous, sunny day.

This day has been an eye-opener for me. Every day, I go through life, not even thinking about the fact that I have an identity as American. But today, I realize how attached I am to it. We all know the phrase "You don't know what you have until it's gone." I woke up this morning with a kind of emptiness. I didn't really understand why, but now I do. I wasn't home for this day of remembrance and it felt like a piece of myself was missing. But it was never gone, because no matter where I go, or what I do, I am still myself. I am still an American.

I am an American. And like every other American, on this day, I remember the souls of those people, and of every person that has risked their lives for our country. Even more so for those who lost theirs. And I pray for those people, and their families. Especially, on this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment