Friday, August 27, 2010

A Night of Music

Today was very boring. We're not even going to talk about it. Except that it rained all day. There. That's all it deserves.

But we will talk about tonight! My host parents took me to "Nuit des Choeurs" which was a really cool music festival-type thing at this very beautiful, very large mansion with acres of land, probably comparable to, say, the Vanderbilt mansion or the Biltmore mansion(s). And we were "VIP Prestige" level guests (oh la la!), so it was really nice and fancy for us. There was champagne and wine (thought I didn't drink) and waiters in tailcoats offering us little finger foods that were stacked up so precariously and artistically that it was almost a shame to put it in your mouth... Until you did put it in your mouth and realize how fantastically delicious food can be. Then we walked around to different "scenes" where six different musical groups performed. "Earth, Wind and Fire" was the first group that was performing while we had our little pre-party on the grounds. Then we saw "The Voca People" which was the best group there. A really great a cappella group from Israel, all in white that sang mashups of famous songs. After that was a group from Brazil, "L'ensemble de Rio BR6" and then "The Rubettes" who sang "Sugar Baby Love" and "Barbara Ann" :)

Then, for the VIP Prestige guests, it was dinner time :) There was a buffet with all different kinds of amazing food from seafood ravioli to fresh vegetables to things that I didn't even know what they were but they tasted incredible. Everything was wonderful. And after the dinner food was cleared from the buffet, there was cheese. Lots and lots of wonderful European, fattening cheese. Complete with strawberries of course. But I was good and didn't stuff myself.

After dinner we saw the "Vienna State Opera" who sang classical operatic songs, and "Carmina Slovenica" which was a very interesting group of many many girls that sang in what sort of sounded like caveman language with some simple choreography. But there was no way it was easy. It was extremely intricate and very impressive. I really enjoyed it, because after being in this country among people who I don't understand and who don't understand me, it was like all of that went away for a little bit because we were all there listening to something that none of us really "understood". It was truly art. And it took me away from this crazy world and just let me enjoy something as much as the next person, and I could interpret it the way I wanted to. Like art should be. It was just phenomenal.

Tomorrow or maybe the day after, I will be posting video clips of this fabulous show. The videos that I post are just snippets. I couldn't get full songs cause my card was filling up fast! But I hope everyone enjoys what I have! Now, it's in 2am and I am exhausted and must wake up in 5 and a half hours for a Rotary weekend! Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment