Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day One... GAH







So I got here about 14 hours ago... Yes, I am in Belgium!! So far it's been good. My host mom, Karine, picked me up at the airport after the really uncomfortable 7 hour flight. But we landed a little early so it wasn't too bad. We quickly got ourselves through customs, found our bags and awkwardly loaded them onto carts and tried to steer ourselves through the maze of people to find our host families. Once we got outside all we saw were people everywhere with signs and balloons trying to find the people they needed to pick up. Karine had a sign that said "Welcome Emma!" on it and found her pretty quickly. She had come with her god-daughter Phillipine. Then we made our way to the car and loaded everything up and drove to my new home :) On the way we stopped and I saw my school and the houses of people I would be going to school with, and we even stopped at a little bakery and I got this really delicious raspberry mousse cake thing... Then we got home, I met the fam, had some Special K (weird right?), took a shower and then passed out for I don't know how long. Once I woke up I unpacked myself and wrote a few letters. Then it was dinner time. We had pasta with this really great tomato and meat sauce with zucchini. And then I had my raspberry thing for dessert. OMG yummy food.

Ok so things I have to get used to: The separation of the toilet and the rest of what we Americans call a "bathroom". The toilet is in it's own little room and then the sink, shower and tub are all in another. And the shower does not have a door. Which is interesting... There's a wall separating the shower from the rest of the room but it's still different... I also have to get used to wearing shoes in the house and closing my door when I'm in my room... Those are things that I definitely didn't do at home. I also have to get used the fact that my school isn't right around the corner from the house. In Parma, I could get to school in 5 minutes on my bike. Here, I will leave the house a half hour before school starts. Which is like an hour later than in the States. Oh and no classes on Wednesday afternoons. Nice :) And of course the big one: FRENCH!! Ok so I took 4 years of high school French... And it didn't help as much as I thought it would. I didn't realize how little I know. Like when I actually sit down and think I can put sentences together but then when I'm in the middle of a conversation I blank out entirely and can't say anything. And then after I say it in English and the son translates, I immediately think of what it would be in French... Fail.

But for the most part I already feel pretty at home here. The house is pretty big and it's like 300 years old which is AWESOME. Oh and you know what else is interesting?? The amount of American music that they know. On the way home from picking me up, ABBA was on the radio. Now granted, ABBA isn't necessarily American, but still! And then I heard Michael Buble on the radio and the son knew Death Cab for Cutie. I just found it very interesting.

Of course I am already missing my friends and family. But I think for the most part I will be ok. It's so easy to keep in touch, even though I'll definitely have to restrain myself from being on all the time. I'll expect the next couple nights to be kinda rough, but I think I'll get through it. I know they're with me in my heart. (awwwww)

Alrighty well that's it for now. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, the bathroom part makes me laugh, Emm! :) Do they not have bidets there as well?

    Like I said before, don't sweat the French. It takes time. But NO SPEAKING ENGLISH - the more French you try to speak, the more mistakes you make the more it'll help you! :) And your family will be more than likely to guide you along I'm sure.

    Highschool French IS enough. . . you'll start to notice that a lot of the French they speak is intelligible to you - a lot of it is just the accent - or the grammar (spoken and French is very different, and Belgian is even more different yet!) Within a month you'll surprise yourself with how much you understand.

    ॐ Gaurav.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Em! Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful time.I remember the first time I went away from home (it was only to the seminary in Wickloffe), but I was only 14!!!! The first week was hard at night, but what I did was have a picture of the family on the chair next to the bed and kept a rosary in my hand till I fell asleep. Silly, I know; but it got me through the first few nights. Lol. God bless. Pere Ray

    ReplyDelete