Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ahhh What A Day...





Today was quite... interesting... I woke up sobbing today. It was the first day since I got here that I really feel like I miss everyone back home. Today was a day of thoughts like, "What am I doing here??" and "Why in the world did I decide to do this???" It's very tiring.

But the interesting things that I wanted to write about... We continued the zucchini theme today with lunch (hehe) and had stuffed zucchini, this time with chicken (poulet) and rice with onion, tomato and tuna! It was surprisingly delicious. We also had shredded carrot with it, yes I mean there was a giant bowl of shredded carrot on the table and we ate it like salad, and sliced seasoned tomatoes. I don't even like tomatoes. It's amazing how much better they taste in Europe! But the real kicker here, stuffed zucchini flower!!!! Yes folks, the flower of the zucchini plant stuffed with spiced chicken. Which is actually really really good. Actually I don't think I've eaten anything here yet that I didn't like.

By the way, Belgian people recycle EVERYTHING! It's awesome! There is garbage can for paper, plastic, glass, anything organic, and then the rest. Which is really cool, I think. And the other really interesting thing that I learned today is that men here say "ma biche". Now say that out loud. And think about what it sounds like in English. You'd think it's an insult right?? Psych!! Literally translated, it means, "my doe" so it's the equivalent of "my dear" to a woman. And it's quite endearing actually. It made me smile inside :)

So today my host family took me to Brugge, which is a big city about two hours from Fumal. It's really cool there. There aren't a lot of cars, but tons of bikes and people walking and, I kid you not, horse-drawn carriages. It was lovely :) And to the American it may seem hokey and touristy and just too darn cute, but the thing is, it's totally not with that intent! Belgians are just adorable!! And they make lace, which is really cool and this old lady was sitting outside a shop doing it and it is probably the most complicated thing I've ever seen. And it's done so fast it's crazy!! But awesome.

Also, just a side note, SO MUCH BEER.

My host parents were so excited to take me to this city. And they spoiled me. Two words: Belgian waffles. And two more words: Belgian chocolate. OH MY GOSH BELGIAN WAFFLES!!! It's like the equivalent to funnel cakes in America. There are just stands everywhere with vendors selling waffles with different toppings. I had mine with powdered sugar. And it was amazing. And the scent when you walked past one of these stands... Ohhhh how I wish I could take a camera-like device and capture that smell and post it on the internet for the whole world to enjoy... And that Belgian chocolate? Ok so believe it or not, chocolate can be very explicit!! Today I saw chocolates in the shapes of certain... uhhh male appendages... complete with a certain... uhh substance... coming out of the top in white chocolate... No, I am not kidding. And this was in a display window!!! For young children to see and point at and say, "What's that mommy?" Oye... Of course this is not where it ends. We had Italian food for dinner and I got a wonderful calzone stuffed with all kinds of veggies (légumes) and amazingly gooey cheese (fromage). But of course, I can't go without dessert! So I had tiramisu gelato. Yummmmmmm

Well I'm doing ok this evening, better than this morning and I have to get up for church in the morning (in French gah!) so goodnight all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment