Thursday, October 7, 2010

Retreat, Day Two

So remember how I said my host dad wears purple pants? Well he wore them again today, because Belgians where the exact same outfits for multiple days in a row, and I realized that they are more of a red, rosey, purpley color. Just updating everyone.

Today, I went back to the school to spend my day with les petits enfants. And I realized that yesterday I said it was a primary school, when really, I'm at a preschool. I guess my brain just didn't make that connection before. I had a good time, but it was very tiring. It's so hard for me to communicate with the kids, since they just barely speak French, and I speak English... And when I make a mistake, or my pronunciation is off, they don't understand me. And half the time I don't understand them either. I mean, even in the States, sometimes you can't understand when a child speaks, because they jumble words and don't always know how to say things. So you can imagine what it's like trying to figure it all out in French.

But I was still able to have a lot of fun with them and play games and go to gym class and do art work and of course, take tons of pictures. However, the teachers asked that we don't post anything on the Internet, so you'll just have to imagine what it was like.

There was one child that I especially bonded with today. And that is because he is in the same boat as me. He came into the room crying, this little three year old Chinese boy, because he doesn't understand anything that anyone says to him. He only speaks Chinese and he has only been in Belgium for three months. I felt so terrible, because he just cried and sat alone, and couldn't understand a word. Since I understood exactly how that is, I decided to befriend the child. And I just told him, in English, so he didn't understand me either, that I understood what it was like to be completely lost. And somehow I think he kind of understood what I said to him because after that, I put my arm around him and he just kind of clung to me for the rest of the morning. He didn't say a word, but I knew he was finally comfortable with someone. Which made me feel really good inside :)

I then went grocery shopping with my host mom, maybe found a good substitute for American cheese, bought some great Belgian chocolate, came home, took a nice nap, ate dinner, and then went to dance class, which I nailed. I have to say, these are the days when I remember why I want to be a dancer!

Tomorrow is going to be a long day. I have my last day at the preschool, then I'm heading over to Talia's to get ready for a big fête in Hannut called, ready for this, KickAss. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be vulgar, but that's the name of it. In English and everything. Basically it's a big electronica dance party at a club in Hannut and everybody is going. So that will go til about 3am and then the Saturday I have to be in Namur at 8:30am for a Rotary outing! Yay for not sleeping! As for now, I wish to sleep. Bonne nuit!

1 comment:

  1. haha i find it ironic how you are in belgium, yet you want american cheese =)

    ReplyDelete