Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Fort, Retreat, And Purple Pants

Today, I came downstairs to breakfast to see that my host dad has a pair of purple pants. And he actually wears them. I just thought I'd share that with the world.


Today was my first day on "retreat". Except it wasn't really a retreat. I went with my two friends, Manon and Flore, to a primary school and helped out with the kids at school. Since it's Wednesday, we only had a half day today. Tomorrow and Friday, we will go back and we will have full days of school to help out with. I had a good time though! I love little kids, and they tend to love me too. The only thing with young kids in Belgium is that I don't want to speak French to them because they are so young. They won't understand anything I say when I make mistakes because their little minds don't know how to fix my errors and comprehend what I say. So I kept pretty quiet today and didn't say much. But I still had a good time and still had little cuties holding my hands and giving me hugs. It was fun!




In the afternoon, I went to a fort with Rotary. I wasn't originally going to go, because I thought I would be at the retreat all day. But then yesterday we found out that it was only going to be a half day, and I ended up being able to go after all. I wasn't really that psyched to visit and old war fort, but I figured hey, it's a chance to see the other exchange students, right? It was a very long tour that included a very very long, steep set of stairs, and I can't say it was incredibly interesting, but they fed us fruit pies afterwards and it was a good chance to catch up with the other exchange students, so overall, it was a good time.

Then came the train fiasco. Which isn't much of a fiasco, but basically we all were waiting for a train to take us back to Liège and it was supposed to come at 6:22. Well 6:22 rolls around and no train. Then before you know it, it's 6:25. And then 6:30. Finally, one of the conductor guys told us that we could get on the other train that had been sitting there for a while and it would take us to Liège. So we all piled on that one and waited another ten minutes before finally taking off towards Liège. But of course, because of this delay, Mikayla and I had missed our second train to take us back home. Luckily, a couple of the Australians knew of another train that would take us to the same place, so we were still able to get back to the station around 7:30, why my host mom picked me up and took me home. I ate dinner (chicken, salad, chocolate mousse) and now I am writing this blog. Which I realize is not as detailed as I normally do things, but I'm so exhausted and I have to get up earlier than usual in the morning, since I have to be at the school at 8:00 instead of 8:30. So goodnight and see you all tomorrow!

P.S. My host family is totally obsessed with my chocolate chip cookies. Karine is buying me more chocolate to make another batch and is using them as bargaining chips to get Benoit to clean his room.

No comments:

Post a Comment