Friday, October 1, 2010

I Miss My Vocabulary...

Since I apparently don't have any faithful readers, I don't really know why I'm writing but here goes another day in Beligum. (hehe just kidding)

Ok so let's just talk a minute about the French language. It is so freaking complicated, I can't handle it. AND it doesn't even make sense that it's so complicated because there seems to be so many less words than the English language! There are far less idiomatic expressions, and when there are 5 ways to say things in English, each with a different intention or a different connotation, and then you find out there is one, expressionless, way to say it in French. Now I'm not trying to bash the French language. After all, it is gorgeous and I really do like it. I just wish there were more ways to express myself. But there are so many words in English that I would use that were "my" words. Like calling people "love" or "darling" or "dear". But you can't do things like that in French. There is no translation for "cool beans" or "that's so bomb!". I just find it really difficult to say what I want to say. There is one word that means both "always" and "forever" when they are different words that really do mean different things when you really think about it. I spent so many years building up my English vocabulary, and I like to think I speak fairly well. But even if there are translations for these words, there is no way that I can build my French vocabulary that much in just a year. It is just a little disheartening to know that I will never speak French the way I speak English. That's kind of a duh statement, but I don't like to think about it...

Anyways...

Today, the schedule at school changed. Which means next week, we start with a new schedule. And I really don't like the new schedule. I go from having two study halls a week, to having five. I don't get out of school early any more either. It makes me a little sad :( Also, I'm beginning to get a cold, and for reasons that I'm sure you can figure out, I have excruciating cramps and am pretty sure I'm gonna have to go to the doctor soon...

But it's not all bad! I am going to France tomorrow with my Rotary club to spend the night. I'm very excited for that :) And I had les frites with lunch and cauliflower with cheese sauce with dinner. Yumm

Now, I'm going to bed. Early. Because I cannot believe how tired I am. Goodnight all :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, languages are so complicated. I can count to ten in French, that's it ;)

    Love your very pretty blog template!!

    ReplyDelete