Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween... In Belgium

It is Halloween. And I am in Belgium. Where they don't really celebrate Halloween. But I have to say, I don't really understand it, because they acknowledge the day as being Halloween, and there have been a couple Halloween-themed parties, with jack-o-lantern lights and scary posters advertising them, but it's not a big deal like in the States, and there's no trick-or-treating. Which is really different for me, because Halloween and trick-or-treating has always been an important highlight of my year, since it is the one day every year that my best friend, Kaitlyn, and I are guaranteed to get together and make crazy costumes of crazy things from scratch and have a great time carving pumpkins and trick-or-treating together. Nothing has ever kept us from doing that. Not even Kaitlyn going to the hospital because of a hot glue burn the day of :)

So you see, nothing keeps us from celebrating Halloween.

Except being in Belgium.

Last night, Talia and I attended a Halloween-themed "Horror Night" in a big barn, where we watched a horror movie. The Scouts organized it and we went to it. I do not handle horror films well at ALL. And I didn't watch much of the movie. Instead, I contented myself by keeping my head in my lap for the majority of the time. It's not so much the gore and the blood that bothers me. I mean, yes, it's disgusting. But I'm not scared of that. It's the concept behind it that is so psychotic and just insane that I can't handle that. But it was still fun to spend time with the other Belgians. Then Talia and I stayed up until about 4am just talking. About very intense things. But we had daylight savings happen last night, so we got an extra hour of sleep in there! And today is Halloween, and I spent it bumming around with Talia and eating the candy corn that her parents sent her. Fun, right?

I feel like this post is spiratic. I hope it made sense though. Right now, I'm waiting for dinner and I'm hungry. Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment