Sunday, March 6, 2011

Yet Another Train Adventure

Today is Sunday. I am officially on break! One week for Carnaval. Yesterday was a fun day, because I went to Germany with my friend Jordann, just like I told you all I would. We caught our respective trains to meet up in Liège around 9am to catch a 9 33am train to Aachen. Of course, there are always issues with me and the train between Landen and Liège and it was late and going extremely slowly. So I didn't get to the station until about 9 30. We were cutting it close. Plus, I almost took the wrong train. But I asked and ended up on the right train. We got on the train to Aachen, and I ended up buying some weird pass that was cheaper than a regular ticket.

Anyways, we got to Aachen around 10 30am and instantly set out into the cold with our map, walking around speaking English and looking so very much like tourists. We spent the day going from one big important building to the next, stopping at random cute shops along the way, although, sadly, I have nothing to recount as far as cool food. I had falafel for lunch in a pita. Which was delicious! But not important to Germany... Regardless, we saw some awesome stuff. Like a huge church that is in the middle of the city called the "Dom". The idea when they built it was to build "The New Rome". It's probably the most magnificent church I've ever seen. The moasic walls and ceiling along with the stained glass windows... Words cannot describe the beauty. And then you walked through and you think about it and realize that it has been there longer than anything you ever saw in the United States. Even with our technology today, we cannot create such stable, beautiful things such as that. The hand made churches like that are so much more precious and incredible than anything that has been built within the last 300 years. It's just incredible to think about...

Anyways, yah we did some sight-seeing and shopping and taking TONS of photos. That is really the purpose of this week: to have a photography week and take incredible pictures. Also, we met a very nice old man that explained some history to us and set in the right direction when we were a little lost. I was good and only bought one thing the whole day: A bag for school and the gym that will hold all my stuff so I don't have to carry six bags around all the time... Ok that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

We caught our train home around 4 30pm (and found out that we could have used my weird pass for both of us and Jordann hadn't needed to buy another ticket... But nobody told us that...) and were back in the Liège by 5 30. My train back to Landen was at 5 53pm, and I successfully caught it. I thought for once, there would be no problems getting home. And then we were almost at Landen when we just stopped dead in the middle of the tracks. Then half the lights went out. The few people that were on the train with me and myself, we just sat there for almost a half hour before an announcement came on over the loud speaker. But it was in Flemish. Well we were all francophones/anglophones, so that wasn't very helpful. It was about ten minutes after that that we actually found out what was going on. Turned out that there was an accident a little ways up the tracks and we had lost electricity and couldn't get to Landen. So they told us we were going to backtrack to Waremme. Well we sat there until a good hour and fifteen minutes after we first stopped. Plus, there were two people on the train who didn't speak any French at all, so I had to translate for them both. So I felt useful. One of the girls was an exchange student who was staying in Germany and we talked the whole way back to Waremme. She was very nice. And my host dad picked me up there, I went home, ate dinner with the host fam (I had legit MEATLOAF), and slept very very well.

P.S. The contacts are working out well :D

Today was a calm ish Sunday. Some people came over, as usual, and we celebrated my host mom's birthday from a couple weeks ago. We had a yummy meal, starting with soup and tomatoes stuffed with little shrimps and salmon. Then we had roast beef and fries with a sauce with mushrooms. And I ate applesauce too :) For dessert, we had a couple different cakes. One was very much like an American yellow cake with chocolate on top. Another was like a pie with almond and pears. And the third was a sugar tart. All of them were topped with hot melted chocolate. YUM. And all of them were delicious. We then spent time talking and laughing and playing with little baby Léo. We even had a little party with balloons where we all played a game hitting them back and forth. It was truly a family effort.

Tomorrow, Liège with Jordann to get ready for Mardi Gras on Tuesday. Sleep time now!

Bonne nuit tout le monde !

No comments:

Post a Comment