Friday, March 18, 2011

A Movie And A Flower

So yesterday was Thursday. And what did I do with my Thursday? I went to Brussels to see the biggest flower in the world! This particular flower is housed at the Botanical Gardens in Meise, which is a Flemish town right outside Brussels. Talia and I caught a train out there, and after a confusing bus debacle, finally got to the gardens to see this flower. And why did I go yesterday? Because the flower is only in bloom for a few days every three years. And it was supposed to be open the last couple days of this week.

Note the words "supposed to."

Talia and I got all the way there on a rainy, gray, gross day, and found the flower, closed. It was still cool to see and I photographed it anyways, but I was disappointed that it wasn't bloomed like the internet said it would be. Don't trust technology, people. Anyway, the flower measures up to be about two and half meters (that's almost three yards for all of you who are unfamiliar with the metric system). And it's supposed to smell really really bad, but since it wasn't open, it didn't really smell like anything. The gardens themselves, I have to say, were kind of unimpressive... I imagine that the grounds are gorgeous in the spring and summer when the sun in shining, but here in the middle of March, on a cold and rainy Belgium-y day, I was a little disappointed. Plus side, we got in for free with our student IDs. After the flower, we were going to go to see the Atomium since it's basically a Belgian icon and I still haven't seen it yet. But it was so foggy that we decided it wasn't worth it since I would pay to go up there and not even get good pictures out of it. So we went and got pizza instead :)

Today, I went to school as usual, almost falling asleep multiple times since I was so exhausted after Skyping with my mother for two hours last night talking about school and summer and all that jazz. Plus I think I'm getting a little sick. But that's besides the point. The point is that I was tired all day. After school, though, I forced myself to go to the gym, only to find out that my membership has expired. I was still able to work out today, but I am membership less.

The rest of the evening went rather well. Romane came and picked me up and we headed off to Liège to see "Black Swan". The movie is about a dancer in a ballet company who is producing "Swan Lake" and she is casted in the role of the Swan Queen. Well, the role definitely takes it's toll on her and we see her fall into a bout of schizophrenia. One thing leads to the next, and, well, let's just say it got pretty creepy. But I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was incredibly well done. Who knew Natalie Portman could dance like that?!

Tomorrow, I have to be at school for 9 HOURS for what I think is going to be the equivalent of a dress rehearsal for the theater... Followed by a party... Somewhere... For now I need to rejuvenate with a good night's sleep. Goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment