Friday, May 20, 2011

Drunk Belgians And Cigarette Smoke

I had three tests today. The first one was in Science and I don't think I failed. The second was in Social Sciences and I think I did well. The third one was supposed to be in Math, but Talia and I left today at lunch because we were really not doing well at all. We went back to her house, made Mac & Cheese for lunch and napped til about 4 30 when her host family got home. There are two little girls in her family, and I met them both. I woke up in Talia's room to find that there was nobody there so I went downstairs and there they were, sitting at the table eating ice cream. I joined them with a small bowl of vanilla and we just chilled for a while. The kids are so cute! We then went back upstairs, the girls keeping close behind, to make a card for our friend, Kathleen, who's birthday we would celebrate later that night. Eventually, we went down to dinner and ate with the whole family. This time there were the two little girls, the host parents, and another fourteen year old girl. Plus Talia and I. Needless to say there were plenty of us at the table. After dinner, Talia and I went back upstairs to get ready to go into Hannut for the night with all our friends for the birthday (and ate way too many Hershey's kisses in the process). Eventually we were ready to go and her host dad drove us into Hannut, where we met up with the others.

For Kathleen's birthday, Manon had the wonderful idea of putting together a sort of care package for her for when she goes away to Spain next year (yes everyone is leaving next year). Part of it was a shirt on which we were going to write "Don't forget you're Belgian". Well of course I get roped into being the one to do it, so to make sure that Kathleen didn't see, we retreated to the parking lot outside the big church in Hannut and I wrote on the pretty in pretty lettering, almost forgetting the g in Belgian. I also managed to get a little tiny black mark on Manon's shirt with the fabric marker. Sometimes I'm just way too smart. Anyways, we finished up the box, including the shirt, some Easy Mac, Cracker Jack, a little pocket French/Spanish dictionary, an American flag keychain, a letter, a card, some earrings, and a pen. Plus the underside of the lid was covered in pictures of her with all her friends. It was really cute.

We ran back to the café with the box and met up with everyone. We then sang to Kathleen and watched her open the box. I really think that she loved it and it put a smile on my face to see her so happy. We stayed for a drink, but around 10 15 everyone decided that they were hungry so we ran over to Mister Patate (which is now actually Chez Patate, lame) to grab food. Of course we went back to the café after. It was freezing outside, of course, and I was wearing a dress that I borrowed from Talia, so I was really cold. Manon and I stayed until about 1am. Here comes the story that gave me the title of this post. Géraldine was with us and eventually her brother showed up to pick her up. But he didn't come alone. He came with a whole gang of guys, all already on their way to plastered. Well we were all tired and wanted to go home, so we worked out a system so that everyone could get home with a sober driver, safely. This meant that three of the crazy drunk guys came in our car with us until we were close to the house where they were all staying. So there we are, blasting music at 1am as we drive down the road with three hammered Belgians in the back seat chanting and shout singing while drinking caramel vodka. I'm not gonna lie, it was hysterical. And super classy.

I have a complaint to announce here. I HATE CIGARETTES. I hate everything about them. But what I hate most is the smoke that I have to breathe because someone around me decided to light up and fill their own lungs with toxins that may eventually kill them. But almost every single Belgian smokes. Which sucks. Because it means that wherever you go, there is someone nearby smoking. Which means that I am constantly in a cloud of second hand smoke, which is terrible for you. And I really have no choice! Smoking happens everywhere. And it gets blown in your face. And it's gross. And I seriously do think it's taking a toll on MY health even though I've never touched the stupid things. And of course it would be one thing if it didn't smell terrible. But it's disgusting. I hate cigarettes and smoking and just the whole concept of putting SMOKE in your body. Your precious body that is supposed to be clean. You only get one, why would you soil it with SMOKE?! And plus, the choice that THEY make to smoke is taking an effect on ME even though I choose not to. Alright there is my rant and my anti-cigarette campaign. I hope you enjoyed it.

I need to sleep now. À demain.

No comments:

Post a Comment