Saturday, May 28, 2011

Anger And Frustration

This post is a ranting post. So if you are in a happy go lucky, let's go catch the sun type of mood, you may want to skip over this post.

Yesterday, I went to school as usual. Afterwards I Skyped with my family and went over to my second host family's house to hang out with my host brother. And I made pancakes for them! They were delicious. They also just happened to have maple syrup in the house so we were able to eat them the way they are supposed to be eaten. I'm very proud of those pancakes. That night, I went with Ben to the bar and we got a drink with some of his friends. We stopped by my house first so I could get my things and talk over the plan for the next day with my host mom. I spent the night at my second family's house again because this morning, I was supposed to get up early to catch a train to go to Amsterdam to meet my friend Alex from the States. He was in Germany and was going to Amsterdam for the weekend and I was going to go with him. I was so excited, not only to see what is supposed to be one of the most beautiful and unique cities in Europe, but also to see my friend who I haven't even really talked to for the past nine months.

Originally, I was supposed to go and spend Saturday night there. But in the end, I wasn't allowed because by Rotary rules, I cannot spend the night out of Belgium without traveling with someone over twenty-five or having a contact there. Well Alex is 20, and I don't know anybody in Amsterdam. So I wasn't able to spend the night. Which I understood and even though I wasn't happy about it, I accepted that and decided to just go for the day, since normally with Rotary if you leave the country but are back to spend the night in Belgium, there is no paperwork that you have to fill out because you do not have to spend the night in the other country.

So with all this in mind, I was all ready to wake up at 6am to take a 6 34am train from Landen to Antwerp and catch a 9am train from Antwerp to Amsterdam to get me there around 11am and meet Alex. We were going to go see the Anne Frank House and the Van Gogh Museum, two very cultural and apparently beautiful things to see in Amsterdam. As planned, I woke up nice and early and was ready at 6 10. Ben so graciously got up also to take me to the train station. We were all ready to leave when I checked my phone and saw two messages, one from my counselor and one from Karine, both saying that without the paperwork, I'm not allowed to leave and go to Amsterdam.

This is where I get mad. I immediately called my counselor, who did not pick up. I can't blame him, it was 6 15 on a Saturday morning. But the fact was that I had to talk to someone. So I called Karine, who did pick up and we talked for a while. And apparently, anytime I leave the country, I need authorization from Rotary, even if I'm not spending the night outside Belgium. Which I'm sorry, I find completely ridiculous. I am almost 19 years old. I hold a good record with Rotary. I have no record of disciplinary trouble and I've never caused problems. I wasn't planning on spending the day alone, and I've taken plenty of trains by myself before. And the biggest issue I have with this is that my NATURAL parents were ok with the whole thing! I'm in Europe for goodness sakes, and I have about 42 days left! Should I not be taking advantage of every opportunity? Yes, I think I should! Especially because I could swear that exchange students are allowed to leave Belgium as long as we are back for the night. And I was responsible about this too. I sent an email to the district Rotarian who is responsible for the exchange students and asked if I was allowed to go for a day without paperwork. Three days ago. And never got a response. I'm just so angry because now I will not get to Amsterdam before I leave Europe. And I won't get to see Alex. And I missed out on some of the most beautiful European culture. I am grateful to Rotary for everything they have done, but I have to say that sometimes I feel like they can go a little overboard. And in any case, I could swear that what I was planning to do was well within the rules!! Ugh the whole thing just frustrates me to no end...

Alrighty, there's my rant. I'm going to send yet another email and see what the deal was with all this. And if, in fact, I was allowed to go, I'm going to be PISSED.

2 comments:

  1. Gee, Emma.....now tell us how you REALLY feel? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, that's when you should have just gone.. it's a day trip. We have already been out of the country THREE times without paperwork. It's so ridiculous that THE MORNING OF THE TRIP they go and say you can't go.

    If we do something against Rotary rules at this point there's not much they can do about it. You know that you're not going to do anything stupid to get yourself in a dangerous predicament. You're one of the most responsible people that I know. You're an ADULT.
    Practically EVERY exchange student has broken the rules.. and most of them have gotten away with it even when they were caught.
    You have about two months let, don't let rules without true reason get in the way of an opportunity. Just let them know next time that you will not hold them responsible if you get hurt, etc. Because when it comes down to it that's the only reason why we can't leave the country.. insurance reasons.
    LA VIE EST BELLE.. IL FAUT PROFITER! So go out there and profit and give one up to the big guy! haha.
    I love you (and we need to hang out soon:)

    ReplyDelete