Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

It is New Year's Day. Actually, in about 18 minutes, it will no longer be New Year's Day here in Belgium, but that is besides the point.

Yesterday, I slept in for a while, then went downstairs to make cookies for the party I was going to. After I made my famous chocolate chip cookies, I ate lunch with my host family, which was bread and cheese with a carrot and red pepper salad. I'm not gonna lie, I think that is one of my favorite meals that we eat here. The cheese is just so good...

I then went up to my room and watched the old classic "Sabrina" with Audrey Hepburn, but fell asleep during it and took a nice little nap until about 4pm. I then woke up and got ready for the party. I actually wore my contacts too and I was ok! I have found that I can wear them every so often for one night and usually get away with it. I then went over to Manon's house around 5pm. When I got there, Géraldine and Talia were already there along with some other people that I knew. We spent the next few hours getting ready and waiting for everyone else to show up. By 8pm, everyone was there and Manon and Géraldine were serving appetizers and we were drinking champagne. We all sat around and talked until it was time to eat dinner. We went into the dining room, where a table was set, and they brought out the first "course", which was a plate with a little round of bread with another little round of goat cheese on top of it with some sort of ground meat on top of that with a sauce and some lettuce underneath. It was surprisingly delicious. That was followed by the main course, which was a cheese fondu. We had bowls of pieces of bread and we all had our skewers and we just dipped the bread in the cheese until we couldn't eat anymore! And they have a rule: If you let your bread fall into the cheese, you have to do a dare. However, nobody let their bread fall into the cheese, so there were no crazy dares done last night. We then went back into the other room, put on the music, and some people did some dancing before dessert. It was a buffet of different things, like my cookies, which were a big hit as usual, a sugar tart, some chocolate marshmallow thing, some little mini muffins, and something else that I can't remember... But the dessert was good.

Then it was dancing time. And I finally learned the rock! Aymeric taught me, and I caught on pretty quickly. It's just a really cool swing dance, and as long as the girl follows the guy, it's not too difficult. I had a lot of fun doing it! But then the Belgians decided it was time to smoke, so the majority of them went outside. The rest of night was pretty much me hanging out with these two Spanish girls that had come with Aymeric, dancing and talking and having a good time while everyone else was off doing who knows what. We rang in the New Year with bisous, and I was up until about 6 30am. A few people got sick, and things got a little nutty towards the end of the night, and I only got about three and a half hours of sleep.

I woke up at about 10am and Karine came to get me and Talia at 11 30am. We took Talia home, we went home and I took a shower, and then I ate lunch with my host parents. We started off with these little plates that had two scallops, a little piece of salmon and a little piece of a white fish in a creamy cheese sauce. That was just the "first course". Afterwards, we had little tiny stuffed quails with a cranberry sauce, baked apples, and these little potato thingies... For dessert, we finished off a half of a cake that was two layers of pastry with a cream in the middle. That was delicious. But I was so exhausted that right afterwards I went up to my room for a nap. I slept for about four hours. When I got up, I went back downstairs to eat dinner. We had bread and cheese and salad. Yum! Then I packed. All my clothes, except for five outfits for the next five days, are in my suitcase, along with the majority of my other junk. I move to my next family on Thursday. It's nuts to think about. But I'm proud for getting a head start on the packing. Although I didn't have the will power to take down my pictures yet. And now it's late and I should be getting to sleep. I'm going to sleep in nice and late tomorrow I think. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment