Sunday, December 19, 2010

Is It Christmas Yet?

Christmas is in less than a week. And it feels so very much like it's not. I don't think I've ever experienced a December that felt less Christmas-y. Here's why: There's no Christmas concerts. No carolers. No caroling. No Christmas cookies. No Christmas lights. No extravagant decorations. No Santa's ringing bells. No malls with lines of children waiting to take their pictures with Santa. No television specials. No Christmas songs on the radio. No Christmas movies. No Nutcracker performances. No "The Christmas Carol" to go see. No gingerbread houses. It feels like there's no Christmas. Not to mention on Christmas Eve, I have to go to the school to pick up my report card. On Christmas Eve!! Ugh. Anyways, this is what I did today.

I woke up kinda late, 10 30am, and didn't eat breakfast. I got myself ready and actually put in my contacts this morning. And they're fine! They haven't been bothering me all day and they're not red or anything! So I found that exciting. I then went down for lunch, which was duck and stuffing, green beans in cream sauce, these potato fried things, and some other sort of vegetable that I didn't recognize. After lunch, my host parents and I went out to Liège for another Rotary event. It took us a long time to get there because there is actually a decent amount of snow on the ground now and the roads are legitimately bad. The Belgians actually have reason to freak out now.

We went to a church in Liège, where we were the first ones to get there, other than the President of the club and the musicians. It was a sort of Christmas concert. So yes, finally something festive. There was a piano/harpsichord/organ player and flute player also. But the kind that looks more like a recorder. Wow, yes, I sound incredibly musically educated right now. Anyways, some of the concert was just them playing, but other parts, we sang. All 25 or 30 of us. Yah, there weren't that many people there. But it was funny because some of the songs were in English, so obviously I had no trouble, but it was funny to hear the Belgians trying to sing in English. Especially the more upbeat ones like Jingle Bells. So I enjoyed myself. And I don't think I failed too bad at the French singing either.

It then took us a good hour and a half to get home when it normally takes a half hour. Then I spoke with my mother, ate dinner (cheese, bread, pizza, typical Sunday dinner), and Skyped with my parents. Now I'm waiting to see if I'm going to talk to Ryan tonight. But it is kinda late so we'll see. Tomorrow, I finish my Christmas shopping. Yay shopping! By the way, red pants again today.

And for your own Christmas enjoyment, this is my gift to all my readers: http://theuglydance.com/?v=vjeqsomvwt

Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment