Thursday, July 15, 2010

Let's Start At The Very Beginning

So here we go. The start of a new blog. The reason for starting this blog is so that I can keep all my friends and family updated while I travel to Belgium for the 2010-2011 school year! I am going through the Rotary Club, they have a freaking sweet youth exchange program.

To give a little background on the whole thing... I am now graduated from high school. When I was a freshman taking French I, our teacher, Madame, had talked about how she did an exchange after her senior year to France. I thought that was just awesome but never thought that it was something realistic for my life. But then, as the years went on and Madame talked about it more, it started to become something that I thought about all the time. Over my sophomore and junior years I spent a lot of time talked one-on-one to Madame about the program and she told me everything. The experience sounded spectacular; one that I would never encounter unless I took hold of this opportunity. So I decided to ask my parents about it. They were instantly taken with the idea and we began the journey to foreign exchange, guided, of course, by Madame. She walked me through the whole process, from the application to the preliminary interviews, to the country assignments and finally hearing from my family. She even wrote my recommendation letter.

Well, needless to say, I was accepted into the program. From there, I had to be assigned a country. How it works is there is a piece of paperwork with all the countries that take part in the exchange, and you have to indicate your top ten choices. I had my heart set on going to France. I wanted nothing more than to live in that country for the year. And then I was told that I was going to Belgium, and I was heart broken. But then I thought about all the extra opportunity that lies there. After all, it is the crossroads of Europe. Eventually, I grew to love the idea and now I can't wait to go! I have heard from my first host family a few times, they have sent me pictures and told me all about the family. The best part is, there is an academy of music and dance in the same city that I will be going to school in!! This is a big deal for me because music, dance, and theater is my life. I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to dance in Belgium. But now I know that I will and I couldn't be happier! I will be living in the French part of the country, so hopefully I will come back to the United States fluent in French.

So now you know a little about the exchange, how about learning a little about me? :) My name is Emma Clark. Like I said, I'm graduated from high school. I am not currently enrolled in a college (that's a whole complicated mess), but I know that I want to major in some sort of performing art, particularly musical theater. I am obsessed with dancing and theater, and I also have a love of photography. Music is also a passion of mine. I play a couple instruments, and listening to music is something I spend wayyy too much time doing. I love all music, except most country and rap I don't care for. I'm a very artsy person and I like to think of myself as a sort of free spirit. I'm a little crazy and a little weird, but I like to think that it makes me interesting :) I'm generally a very happy person and I believe in living in the moment. I have a fabulous boyfriend, Ryan and my friends and family are a very important part of my life. I live with my mom and my dad and my sister, Olivia. I have a few best friends, Kaitlyn, Kaitlyn and Sandy. Yes there are two different Kaitlyns. (I just figured you should know about the important people in my life since they will be mentioned) I am also a pretty religious person. God is my savior and He comes first.

I think that's about everything for now. I leave on AUGUST 17th, and I will keep everyone updated :)

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour, Emma !

    Tu vas pour une année entière !? Wow ! J'avais lu en ton Facebook que tu y es et j'avais cru que seulement pour une semaine, ou pour les vacances. Mais pour une année entière ! Wow ! Sera une expérience très bonne !

    Je voulais aussi aller à l'étranger comme toi dès Madame Beck nous a parlé sur son expérience, mais c'est matérialisé d'autre façon. Sûrement tu parleras couramment le français quand tu reviens aux EU !

    Je te parle de mes expérience en l'Argentine : Les premiers 2 mois m'ont semblé les plus difficiles. Là-bas on parle l'espagnol et je pouvais en comprendre très peu ! La vie quotidienne était très difficile. Beaucoup des mots que je ne connaissais pas, beaucoup de grammaire que je n'avais point appris (je ne savais pas du tout faire le temps passé), et l'accent argentine est très différent à celui que j'avais appris.

    Mais il faut expérimenter. On doit essayer. C'est le seul façon d'apprendre - si on te corrige pas, tu ne vas pas apprendre ! Mes amis argentines me disent que j'ai appris la langue espagnole aussi vite parce que 1- je n'ai pas peur de faire les erreurs ; et 2- j'aime bien parler. :)

    C'est difficile déménager à autre pays - il y a beaucoup de choses pour apprendre - il te faut t'habituer à une couture nouvelle - langue nouvelle, nourriture nouvelle. Je me suis rencontré à la dure quand il me fallait naviguer la ville. C'est bien facile maintenant mais avant, j'avais beaucoup de problèmes d'ajuster à une ville aussi grande que Buenos Aires - et aussi au crime ! Il y a beaucoup de gens, et on ne peut pas parler à tous !

    Parma te manquera, bien sûr, mais vitement tu appelleras a ta nouvelle ville, "chez moi." Explore la ville, la cuisine, et les activités des gens natives. Sors beaucoup, fais beaucoup d'amis, apprends ce qu'il veut dire "être belgique." Et bientôt tu ne voudras pas revenir à Parma! Hehe.

    Peut-êtres les belgiques ne sont pas aussi vite de faire l'amitié comme les américains (les européens sont un peu plus rigide) - ou ils ont coutumes différents de l'amitié (ça m'est passé en l'Argentine). Ça c'est difficile accepter mais toi aussi, tu vas t'habituer à les coutumes belgiques aussitôt que tu essaies le faire. Explore tout ! La Belgique est un grand pays qui t'offrira une expérience merveilleuse si tu te l'invites ! Et l'Europe est aussi petite que tu peut voyager entres pais rapidement (et c'est pas trop cher) pour explorer le vin français, l'histoire allemande, la pizza italienne. . . . n'hésites rien. :)

    Je te souhaite bonne chance en ton expérience. N'arrêtes pas d'écrire et de prendre photos!

    ॐ Gaurav.

    ReplyDelete