Thursday, June 9, 2011

In SPAIN

Yes, the title lies not. I am in SPAIN dudes!!! This morning, Talia and Mikayla and I had to take our Social Sciences oral exam, which we studied for at Point Chaud this morning for like 3 hours. We did really well on it, with a whopping 46/60 score! After our exam, Talia and I got a sammich and then Karine picked us up in Hannut to take us to the airport to catch a cheapo RyanAir flight to Madrid, SPAIN. We got there with plenty of time to spare, checked in, got all our bags together and life was good. Because we did not pay for any extra baggage, we each could only have one small bag, so we had a backpack and a tiny suitcase that we both shared. We had to move things around and rearrange a couple times, but in the end we succeeded in making each bag the right size and weight so that we could get on the plane. We had no problems going through security, and we even made a new friend! We met a girl who lives in Oregon who was also doing an exchange, but in college and with a different program. Her exchange was spent mostly in Spain, but she had been doing some traveling, so she spent a night in Belgium. We talked throughout all the time we had to wait for our flight and even sat together on our flight.

The flight went well. I had completely forgotten about a motion sickness pill until it was too late. And you all know me, I'm a complete worry wart and nervous Nelly. The flight only lasted about two and half hours, but I still managed to get nervous and everything. And of course, we were on a tiny little low cost plane, so that didn't help. In the end, I was fine. I didn't get sick and I didn't freak out too bad. We watched a few snippets of both "The Proposal" and "Julie and Julia" on my computer as well, and I did sleep a little tiny bit. After the flight was over, I really didn't feel good, but that went away after a few hours. Once we got off the plane and said goodbye to our new friend, we met up with one of Talia's friends who lives in Spain. Her name is Irene. She was an exchange student with Talia for two summers and they are really close. She is super nice and she was there with her family who very kindly offered to drive us to the house we are staying at. We're staying with some friends of my family who live here near Madrid. We got to the house around 8 30pm and settled in. The woman, Susan, is American and the sister of my dad's best friend. She married a Spanish man and now they live here with two kids at 10 and 12 who are adorable. We ate a traditional Spanish dinner with them, which was a sort of omelette with potatoes and onions, and bread drizzled in olive oil with a slice of tomato and a sort of ham meat on top of it. There were also a couple kinds of cheeses out that were very good. It was a delicious light meal that I really enjoyed, especially since I still wasn't feeling great from the plane.

After dinner, my mom called me and I talked to her for a little bit, and then I went out with Susan and Talia and we took a walk around the town of Alcala de Henares. Susan showed us the different points of interest. It's a really pretty city with plenty of sculptures and piazzas. It's very clean and we were walking around at night and it was safe and everything. I thoroughly enjoyed the walk and took a few pictures, even if I was exhausted. We got back after 11 30pm and now it's bed time because tomorrow we are actually going into Madrid and it's going to be a long day! Bonne nuit tout le monde !!

No comments:

Post a Comment