Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day And A Birthday

This weekend was full of celebrations that I was not home for... For instance, Saturday was my sister, Olivia's, birthday. And today is Father's Day. Things like this are always the hardest parts of exchange, I'm finding... Because as much as you love that person and as much as you want to be with them to celebrate with them, you can't always be there because there are 4000 miles of ocean between you.

To my sister:

Olivia, you drive me insane. You make me want to bash my head against a wall. Consistently. But if there is one thing I've learned this year, it's an appreciation for my family. And I love you, sister. And I'm positive that I love you the way I do because you are the way you are. And yes, I would like very much for us to get along. And I hope that we can find a way to make our relationship better once I get back to the States and we have to live together once again. I guess what I'm trying to say is simply that I love you and I hope you had a wonderful birthday. Judging from Facebook, you did!

To my dad:

Faja, I love you more than I can express. I miss you so much. I miss your daddy hugs, our lunch dates, and the egg sandwiches that you made me in the morning. I miss watching stupid movies with you and laughing at screwed up Burger King signs. I miss going to Home Depot with you and running out through our swamp of a backyard to the shed to tell you that you have a phone call. I miss a lot of things, dad, and I can't wait to see you again. I know that you love me a lot and that you have been missing me this year. And on this Father's Day, I hope that you know that I'm thinking about you and sending all my love home. Here's to my amazing father, and the hope that we will soon be eating Mickey Mouse pancakes together again. I have realized more than ever, this year, that you mean so much to me, both as my dad and as my friend. You have done so much for me over the course of my life, caring for me and raising me to be an independent, strong girl. I wouldn't be here, in Belgium, doing what I'm doing without your love and support. So thank you, Dad. Thank you for everything. I LOVE YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment