Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Note On Fluency

So these last two days, I have absolutely nothing to write about because I have been sitting at home, sick. But I think I need to just get out some of thoughts, as I do every so often. This time, my topic of choice is language, and speaking it.

I have been told by different people that it is possible to achieve fluency of a foreign language by the emersion method within three months. Actually, Miss Courtney Burnside over there at Baguettes, Berets, and Mlle Burnside just blogged about this particular topic a few weeks ago. My point is that I will have been here for three months on Thursday, and there is no way that I have reached fluency. However, I do believe that fluency is upon us. I cannot say that I have yet dreamed in French, even though basically every other exchange student that I have talked to has, and I don't quite think in French yet either. I feel very behind on the whole process. However, I do find that words that I didn't know that I knew, I hear coming out of my mouth. And there are times when I speak without thinking, freak out, but then think back over what I said and realize it was very correct. These are all obviously steps to fluency.

But fluency comes differently to different people. For example, the majority of people achieve comprehension first. But my dear friends Brittany finds that that is the hardest part for her. And then there is whole conundrum of reading and writing. For someone like Talia, who has never studied French formally, this is the hardest part for her, while for someone like me, I would rather write than speak because I almost always write correctly because I have more time to think. The hard thing about becoming fluent is having the chance to practice. Because, sure, you can talk to your host family or your friends, but it gets to a point where they don't want to listen anymore because you have such the urge to speak correctly that you speak slowly and back up sometimes to correct yourself. Of course that gets aggravating! And then you realize that and you want to give up. But you can't. You force yourself to keep trying and you continue to be rejected, even though you know that in the long run, your French will be better for it.

Well, that's my personal experience anyways. It can be quite disappointing and a little discouraging, but like I said. You can't let it stop you. I know that by the end of this year, I will speak French almost the way I speak English. That prospect is wonderful, and I cannot wait to achieve it. And although people say things about becoming fluent in three months, I guess some people would say I'm "fluent". I understand just about everything that is said to me. "I can get by and hold everyday conversation. People understand me when I speak and I am able to joke and laugh and understand nuance. So I guess in a way, it's also about how you define "fluency". For me, I define it as speaking easily, without thinking. So have I reached fluency after three months? Not to me. Do I think I can get there? Definitely. In fact, I think by the end of month four or five I will be at a point where I can call myself almost fluent. But I don't want to make any rash judgements.

For now, I'm just going to continue to try to write my English novel, speak French, and absorb as much of the language as I can. Well, first, I'm going to sleep. Bonne nuit!

1 comment:

  1. It's curious that you have been sick and chose to write about FLUency. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete