Sunday, November 14, 2010

I LOVE TECHNO!!

Friday, I spent my day just laying around, because I have been sick, and I was recuperating. But that night, I ate pasta with those shrimp again... You know, the ones I talked about before where I have to deconstruct it myself? Yah I have a real problem with those, even though they're delicious...

Then yesterday, Saturday, I went to dance in the morning, where I discovered that I will be performing at two special performances. One here in Hannut and one in Brussels!! I'm very excited about this :) Then I went home, showered, ate some really delicious cheese, and then got ready for the event of the evening: I LOVE TECHNO!!

Around 6:30, my host mom drove me into Hannut, where I met up with a bunch of other kids from school, plus a whole bunch more that I didn't know, and we all piled on a big bus (Greyhound style) and traveled the hour and half to Gent, where I LOVE TECHNO was going to be. The bus ride was a lot of fun! We spent it talking and laughing and taking pictures. I met some people that I didn't know before and had a lot of really good conversation. I even met someone who had gone to the States the year before for a few months. The guy who had organized it went around the bus, too, and passed out these bags that had flyers and such in them. They conveniently had chips in them, which was good because Talia and I hadn't eaten any dinner. They also contained condoms, which I found very interesting and I just pretended they weren't there...

About halfway there, we stopped at a gas station. Gas stations here are not shady like in the States. So everyone got off and people were buying beer and such. Talia and I then realized that all we had had to eat was chips, so we bought food. And what did we buy? A loaf of bread. That's all. So we munched on the bread for the rest of the drive, and the person who had organized the whole thing passed out our tickets. We left our bags and our coats on the bus and went out into the cold. It wasn't that bad, and it was only about a ten minute walk to the building, but there were puddles and I ended up with wet feet :(

We got into the building, and it was HUGE! There was a sort of hallway with a red carpet and tons of chairs and really cool lighting and atmosphere. That led into an even BIGGER hall where there were the bathrooms and a couple performance spaces, food, and places to buy tickets for drinks and food. It was obviously the most well-organized event that I have been to yet. And it should have been; there were 40,000 people there!

Off the giant hall, there were five other rooms, each labeled with a color, and there were different DJs and bands in each one, and they changed every so often. Also, everything was in English. Interesting. And water was free. PLUS! We spent the night going into the different rooms, listening to the bands, dancing and just having a lot of fun! Talia and I even met up with our friend from Rotary, Matheus. He is also and exchange student from Ohio, and we spent a few hours with him, catching up, dancing, and me screaming O-H! And him responding with I-O!! It was just endless hours of techno music and dancing. Pretty sweet, huh?

Around 2am, I started to get really tired and my feet were hurting, but by 3am, it was all ok and I was back to dancing. By the time 5am came around, we were getting food and we sat down and just chilled. I started to doze off.

At 5:30, it was time to go back to the bus. We left, and it was raining. With no coat. So we went quickly, but after ten minutes, we realized we were going the wrong way and had to turn around. So it took us fifteen or twenty minutes to get back to the bus, and by that point, I was soaked, exhausted, and freezing. I put my coat on and ate a little bit of bread and then my eye started acting up. So I took my contact out and was half blind the whole way home, but it didn't matter because I had my eyes closed most of the time. Which was good, because later, Talia told me that someone had puked on the bus, and if I had been awake, I wouldn't have been able to handle it.

We got back to Hannut around 8 and my host dad was there to pick me up. We drove Talia home also, and then stopped at a grocery store. I stayed in the car because by this point I really was not feeling well, and the car ride was not helping. We got back to the house, and I was starting to feel really awake. I went upstairs to take a quick shower, because my feet were disgusting, just like after KickAss, and people had been spilling beer on me all night. (It wasn't that bad, don't worry!) Then I went downstairs, had a bowl of Special K, and realized that I could probably make it through the day and be ok, even though I didn't. I went up to my room, watched an episode of Frasier, and made myself go to sleep. I was sleeping by 9:30, and I didn't wake up until 5:30. It was beautiful. Although when I woke up, I was five times sicker than before, and now I'm hacking up a lung every few minutes. But I did write a good 2500 words for my novel today and had some quality Skyping time with my sister.

Overall, I'm really really happy that I went to I LOVE TECHNO. It was so much fun, and even though it was tough at the end and I'm sick and exhausted, it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment